Thursday, May 10, 2012

#79- Sandwiches

Last night I had a dream about a sandwich. I don't know what was in it, but all my mind kept telling me was that it was the best sandwich that was ever made. I was so hungry too. But each time I went to grab for the sandwich someone would come into the room and ask me to go see something else in another part of the house.

I was never able to bite into what was surely the most delicious thing ever and woke up licking my lips in anticipation of a sandwich that would never come. And now I badly want a sandwich, but since I don't have the stuff for one, writing about it must suffice.

According to one website, dreaming of a sandwich suggests that "a lot of pressure and stress is being put on you. It also reflects your ability to do two things at once." Maybe I can put that on my resume.

It goes on to say, "Alternately, sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich." I don't agree with this at all. A sandwich is never "just a sandwich." It's so much more.

Sandwiches show your character, your likes and dislikes, your creativity and your culture. For example, if I were to put anything other than my family's homemade tomato sauce on my veal sandwich, I would probably be disowned and made to live in a cave with only potato sacks to wear. That's because my family is proud of this tradition and also because it's extremely delicious to the point where I am now Googling veal sandwiches to get a minor fix.

Sandwiches are the ultimate mix and match dish that you can tailor to your own tastes. You can have fancy ingredients and bread, imported cheeses and weird sounding mustard or you can simply have a ham and Swiss on rye. It can be healthy, stacking vegetable upon vegetable on whole wheat bread or devilishly and deliciously bad for you (see the aforementioned veal sandwich with all the fixings). But whatever your taste there's something there for you in a sandwich.

So I am grateful for sandwiches. I am grateful that the 4th Earl of Sandwich was such a heavy gambler that he decided to create the food just so he wouldn't have to stop throwing the dice. I am grateful that sandwiches offer so much variety and that they can reflect the person that is making them. I am grateful that they can be enjoyed anywhere at any time. And I am grateful that they appear in my dreams because now I know what I'm having for lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment