Tuesday, May 29, 2012

#88- Paramedics

Nothing says "Happy Sunday" like a head injury!

While that may be slightly (or largely) untrue, it was nonetheless my mantra this past weekend.

Here's the story: I was walking home from work, minding my own business, talking to my mom on the phone, when I heard a mysterious pop-pop-pop noise from the street. This noise caught my attention as it was vastly different than the natural sounds of the Glebe; hipster music, babies crying and patio chatter. I didn't have much time to think about it (maybe a split second) before something slammed into my head. The next thing I know, I have blood pouring from my head and I'm thinking, "Man, this is really going to make my glasses all smudgy."

In the end I was alright, and it was mainly because of some very kind-hearted people. My friend (who was randomly, perhaps fatefully, coming out of a store when I was running down the street) called 911 and my girlfriend came running over to do whatever she could to help (several Olympians would have been shamed by her speed and hurdling abilities at that moment).

But I want to thank the pros who were on the scene that day, the paramedics who came and treated my injury and took every precaution to make sure I was alright and able to get on with my day. These paramedics were complete strangers who cared about me and my well-being. They were calm and nice and very good at their jobs. They also put me at ease when they told me my sunburns were probably more of an issue than the head injury (sorry skin).

Before this weekend I have never had an encounter with a paramedic (I count myself blessed for being able to say that), but now that I have, I feel even better about this world knowing there are completely selfless and giving people out there like the ones who helped me.

So I am grateful for paramedics. I am grateful for the job they do. I am grateful that they can remain positive and caring in a job where there is so much hurt. I am grateful that they will do anything to stop this hurt, even if it's affecting people they have never met and will never meet again. Thanks to everyone who helped me this weekend, and, if you happen to read this, a big thank you to the paramedics.     

No comments:

Post a Comment