Friday, May 6, 2011

#50- Stuffed Animals

One of the oldest and dearest things I own is my stuffed penguin. And I am not afraid to say that it resides in my bed every night.

I have had my stuffed animal, Pingu, since I was five years old and although the white of its belly may be a little less bright, and the baby penguin that was in its pouch has broken free of its string, it still feels more familiar and comforting than almost anything I have ever known.

I use Pingu, named after the popular TV personality and inspiration clay figure, as a head rest, a pillow extension, an arm warmer in the winter and most importantly a reminder of my childhood. Pingu has been with me through thick and thin, from the house I grew up in to the house I learned to love in Toronto. Pingu has been with me all the way to Ottawa. Pengu reminds me of growing up, of the first tooth I lost and the first time I rode a bike. The touch or the smell or the sight of a stuffed animal brings you whizzing back to those moments when an economic downturn meant no one would trade their Pokemon cards with you or your biggest responsibility was making sure your fort had enough snow balls to fend off the kids across the street.

I have been many places since then, and loved all the experiences I've managed to have. But sometimes, and not often, but sometimes I get homesick, or feel overwhelmed and unprepared for the road ahead, but if I'm near my bed at those moments (where Pingu takes up residence at most times of the day) I just squeeze him tight for a few seconds (after making sure no one is looking) and remember that I've climbed steeper hills on windier days and then get to work. 

So I am grateful for stuffed animals. I am grateful that they stay by your side as you grow and go through life. I am grateful that they remind you that you don't have to outgrow your child-like wonder and awe like your old, three speed bike. And I am grateful for the people who make stuffed animals. Stuffed animals are like time machines that transport you back to one of the greatest times of your life, so I am grateful for my time machine that I call Pingu.  


No comments:

Post a Comment