Monday, March 7, 2011

#1- School

I have had the great honor and opportunity to be in places where an education is something coveted before most everything in the world.


On a trip to Kenya in 2008 I saw kids walk up to 5 kilometres to get to school. I have never had to do that. I saw kids studying in the classrooms at 6 a.m, with not one complaint or frown. I have never seen my school before at least 7 a.m. I saw kids come to learn, even though it was supposed to be their time off from school. I, once more, don't think I have never done this.


For the past two summers I have worked in factories. The most common thing I heard from workers at both places, besides various expletives, was that the most important thing I could do was to get an education.


Every time I groan about an assignment, or wish I could win the lottery and drop out of university I think about what a great opportunity I have to be able to go to school and learn about the world and be with my friends, somewhere close, safe and warm.


I am truly grateful for the opportunity to go to school and get an education.

No comments:

Post a Comment