Monday, March 28, 2011

#22- Pasta

After a long news cast day in my radio class I was very hungry, but I really didn't want to spend a lot of time and energy cooking. I knew exactly what I would make for dinner: pasta.

Pasta is the best meal to have when you're tired, but looking for a hearty meal. It's fast, takes almost no prep and is a fast clean up. And most importantly it tastes great and fills my stomach.

I have always said that if I could only eat one food for the rest of my life it would probably be pasta because it comes in so many different types and can go with so many different sauces and vegetables and meats. If variety is the spice of life than pasta is the spiciest food there is as far as I'm concerned.

I will admit, my love of pasta isn't all about the stomach. Coming from Italian roots, pasta is something that brings my family together over dinners, sauce making days and impromptu cooking lessons. I've had some of the best conversations and learned some of the greatest lessons over a plate of pasta with my family.

That's not to say I haven't had these great times eating pasta with friends, because I have, and the time I made pasta from scratch with my girlfriend gave me a newfound appreciation for the food.

So I am grateful for pasta. I am grateful that it nourishes me after a long, hard day, how it can be rich and jam packed with ingredients or simple and quick and be just as delicious, elegant and fun. I am grateful that pasta has brought my loved ones together on so many occasions and given me one more thing from my heritage that I can be proud of. I am grateful that there is a food that I can think about with both my stomach and my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment