Wednesday, March 23, 2011

#17- Indoor Plumbing

One night last year, while my housemates and I were watching the Olympics, we heard the toilet bubble and the splash of water on the tiled floor. A minute later we could feel the the carpet getting wet and ran to shut off the water.

And just like that, our indoor plumbing was gone.

We couldn't go to the bathroom, or brush our teeth or do laundry or drink water from the tap because one of our pipes had clogged up.

What was an inconvenience to us (it was fixed in a few hours) is the reality of millions around the world who do not have running water in their houses, or washing machines for their clothes or toilets. People walk kilometres to get water for cooking, cleaning, bathing and drinking, whereas I have it a few steps away.

The first time I came to appreciate how lucky I am in regards to indoor plumbing was on my trip to Kenya. The incident last winter elbowed me in the ribs and helped me to remember how I shouldn't take it for granted.

So I am grateful for the indoor plumbing I have and for the ability to get clean water for anything I could need right in my own house and I am reminded how fortunate I am to have these things every time I turn on the tap. 

1 comment:

  1. That story makes me grateful for neighbours too! They were so nice to you guys.

    ReplyDelete