Friday, March 18, 2011

#12- The First No-Sweater Day of the Year

Nothing says spring is on its way like the first day of the year when it is warm enough to leave your sweater behind when you walk out the door.

Yesterday was that day in Ottawa and it was like a breath of fresh air.

Literally, I sat outside on a bench in my school's quad doing work and getting more fresh air than I have had in months because it was so nice out.

It was a great feeling after months of winter fatigue. The warm weather wasn't just melting away the snow and ice all around me, it was also melting away my homework brain freeze and I got a lot done, and I enjoyed it.

It was like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I do like my sweaters, they keep me nice and warm when I need them too, but walking outside without one for the first time since October made me feel light and free, like I could do cartwheels and flips. In the end I decided against doing the acrobatics because of my less than admirable coordination and simply just walked around and enjoyed the weather.

So I am grateful for that day when I can throw off the metaphorical shackles of winter and walk around with no sweater on. The temperature may dip the next day, but I'll smile just the same because I know spring is just around the corner.     

1 comment:

  1. Oh man! I can't wait till the first day I get to wear shorts!

    ReplyDelete