Saturday, March 19, 2011

#13- World Maps

Every so often, throughout a normal day, I will find myself looking at a poster of a map of the world hanging above my bed and I realize just how big our planet is.

I've had it in my room for almost two years and I still spot cities on the map that I have never heard of. Every time I see one of these cities I make a promise to myself that I'll go there one day. Qaraghandy? Sounds good. Machala? Why not. Kummiut? Of course.  

The overwhelming thing about this exercise is that there are so many places I haven't been, so many people I haven't met and so many experiences I haven't had. Every one of those cities makes me curious about what great lessons I can learn while there, or what friendships I can make or what stories can come out of each one.

This map makes me overwhelmed, it makes me curious, sometimes frustratingly so, but it also makes me dream. It makes me think of all places I will one day end up and dreams are the beginning of every adventure.

So I am grateful for my world map. Sometimes I Google the places I see, but the internet can only take me so far before I want to get up, get out and see it for myself. But until that time, I can use my trusty map to plan it all out.   

1 comment: