Wednesday, March 9, 2011

#3- Oven Mitts

I had come face to face with a dilemna.

There were fries in the oven, turning all golden and brown and delicious, but, as often happens at my house, the oven mitt had gone missing.

I spent several anxious seconds wondering how I was going to get those fries out of there. They were burning fast and my stomach was grumbling louder.

I finally decided to grab the pan out of the oven with a nearby dish towel. You know what they say, necessity is the mother of invention, or looming danger as was the case here.

To make a long story short, I burned my hand, quite painfully too. While putting my fingers under cold water I looked at my fries, having been dumped all over the floor after I flung the pan across the room while yelling very loudly. At that moment my frown doubled in size, but I also had a new appreciation for mitts, particularly the kind used for oven related purposes. 

So, I am grateful for oven mitts and Lawrence E. Dickson, the inventor of the marvelous device. Without it I would be in more painful pickles than I would ever want to be in. Believe me, I learned it the hard way.  

No comments:

Post a Comment