Tuesday, March 22, 2011

#16- Twitter

It seems like just yesterday Twitter was born. Now, just five years later, the social networking site has tens of millions of users and posts millions of tweets each day.

They sure do grow up fast don't they?

I am a recent convert to this Twitter-mania that is going on at the moment. I started my account about a month ago and although I was a little skeptical about the benefits I have come to value Twitter a lot in the past few weeks.

But my adoration for Twitter isn't just about how I can get the latest news from CBC quickly, or get great story ideas or even how I can get my own messages out and keep in touch with friends.

It is more about how the global community is coming together to share messages of hope, or voice their opinion, or start a revolution. It's about people becoming politically involved who did not have that option before. It's about sharing an important story that would have never othewise gotten out. It is about alerting people to great art, music, recipes or causes.

Thanks to Twitter we are all connecting to each other in a positive way. I have yet to see any messages of hate on Twitter. I am sure they are out there, but hopefully the flood of positivity I see in all those 140-character messages can overwhelm the bad.

So I am grateful for Twitter and the outlet it gives me and millions of other people to get their voices out or, to campaign for freedom, human rights or simply better music on the airwaves. I am grateful it gives people a chance to mingle in a giant, global party of sorts. Happy birthday Twitter, keep on flapping those wings.  

1 comment: