Friday, April 1, 2011

#26- April Fool's Day

I turned on the radio today and the first thing I heard from the station was that George Bush was planning to run for president again in 2012, after four years away from the White House.

April Fool's!!! No, Mr. Bush won't be going up against Obama next year, but I wanted to get into the spirit of the day by trying to trick you with some clever lies. They probably didn't work, but at least I tried.

April fool's day is all about fun and trying to get your friends and family to laugh at their own naivety. I can not tell you the amount of times I told my mom their was a spider in her hair on April 1st, saw her freak out and then have a good laugh about it with her.

While I guess it does teach our youth to lie, April fool's day also teaches all of us other important lessons; laughing is not a crime, smiling is actually fun and creativity can be used for things other than trying to get the most profit out of consumers.

In this world where constant activity and work is expected out of most people, stress can tear at you very easily. But April fool's day is one of those time's of year that let's people know that taking everything so seriously all the time can make you look like, well, a fool.

So I am grateful for April fool's day. I am grateful that there is a day where everyone can have fun and play pranks and make others laugh. I am grateful this day makes others see that having fun and stopping to laugh is a good thing once in a while. And I am grateful that for one day in a whole year, school kids can be forgiven for putting chalk in the teacher's erasers.

1 comment: