Tuesday, April 12, 2011

#37- Alarm Clocks

Today I was sitting in VIP box seats, complete with a buffet and a hot tub, watching the Stanley Cup finals. And then my alarm clock woke me up.

Was I mad? A little, but mostly I was happy because dream-world finger foods and sporting events are fun, but not really worth missing an exam for. Usually the snooze button puts me back into a blissful sleep, but last night I had set two alarms, one minute apart, so this wouldn't happen. And so I was able to get up and get ready for my exam without rushing around like a crazy man.

Alarm clocks show a little tough love and that is why they are so great. They do the job that everyone dreads and that is waking up a perfectly content sleeping person so that they can face what ever the day has in store for them, good or bad. I have found that many a great and adventurous day has begun with the sound of the radio wakening me from my slumber or the annoying sound of my phone alarm boring itself into my brain.

Alarm clocks have the unenviable job of shaking people free of their dreams and some times pay the price for it from angry fists slamming the clock until they find the snooze button. Although in the end alarm clocks are like nagging parents: they may seem unfair, demanding and even cruel at times, but in the end you know that they are well meaning in their intentions.

So I am grateful for alarm clocks and for the way they get me up to face the real world, with real obstacles and lessons and rewards. I am grateful for the people who makes alarm clocks. I am grateful that my alarm clock helped me pass my exam because no matter how much I study, if I don't get to school on time I'm sunk. Every day and every journey must start somewhere and most mornings my adventures start with my alarm clock calling me to action.

No comments:

Post a Comment