Thursday, April 28, 2011

#47- Sibling Debates

If you came across me and my siblings having a light hearted debate you may think we would be two seconds away from beaning each other with the closest heavy object. This is, in fact, not at all true. We just get passionate about things both big and small and like to show our intellectual and verbal chops off to each other.

My parents have run into a room ready to break up a fight more than a couple times only to have one or two of my siblings and I assure them we're just having fun with each other.

I like debates, discussions and opinionated talks, they help keep my mind open and stay sharp, like mental exercise (which is good because I'm a little short on physical exercise lately). My brothers and sisters offer the best talking mates there are because they are all smart and aren't afraid to go after me for something I said that sounded stupid or wrong.

These debates also remind why I would have my brothers and sisters backing me up in any situation. They use their heads, are pretty clever and refuse to go down without a fight, which could come in handy against playground bullies, persistent telemarketers or a marauding band of mutant honey badgers. 

We do get on each others nerves once in a while and the debates have been known to go full contact at times, but I always seem to come away refreshed, more knowledgeable and most importantly, still friends with my siblings.

So I am grateful for the debates I have with my siblings. I am grateful to be so proud of my brothers and sisters even when I sometimes walk away from our talks defeated (although I'm too stubborn to admit it at times). I am grateful that I am able to talk freely among my family and have opinions that are heeded (although we are deeply divided on who the best hockey team in the NHL is). So I'm happy the sibling rivalry between my brothers, sisters and I is more constructive than destructive.

No comments:

Post a Comment