Saturday, April 9, 2011

#34- Salt and Pepper

Bert and Ernie, Calvin and Hobbes, Kobe and Shaq. These are all great duos in the history of two-person teams, but they pale in comparison to the greatest of all, salt and pepper.

I couldn't help but make this conclusion tonight as I prepared my dinner, using the trusty salt and pepper shakers that always stand ready for culinary duty whenever called. 

As a student I tend to purchase the lower grade, blander brands of food so that I can manage to rub two loonies together. This usually means that I add liberal amounts of salt and pepper to my food when I cook it to make it taste good.

Don't get the wrong impression, I'm not a terrible cook, but salt and pepper make the job a whole easier. Salt and pepper are some of the most underrated spices in the culinary world as far as I am concerned. We all use them and they are integral to almost every dish, but people don't always show appreciation for them. When watching Hell's Kitchen, one of the most common mistakes the chefs make is not seasoning the food with salt. It just goes to show that it's the little things are important and that you shouldn't underestimate spice, or people for the that matter, because everyone can have a big impact.

So I am grateful for salt and pepper and the flavour they add to life. I am grateful that there are things in this world that are so small, but so important. I am grateful that they can work in harmony with each other and set an example. And most of all I am grateful that they make my food taste great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment