Tuesday, April 26, 2011

#45- Gum

At the age of five I swore off gum for the rest of my life.

The decision was based on the astounding news that my baby sitter had told me and that was that gum was made from car tires.

It was a conspiracy of epic proportions! The whole gum industry had people chewing the black rubber on my parent's mini van and my friends and siblings loved the tire-filled taste of the gum. Bazooka was trying to divert the public's attention away from the scam using funny and endearing cartoon and even my parents were buying it. As far as my little brain knew, this deception went all the way to the top; maybe even the principal was in on it.

Well I have come a way from then and eventually I realized that my baby sitter probably lied so I wouldn't chew gum and she wouldn't have to clean it out my hair when I decided to find out how the two things reacted. I also grew to see how a little piece of gum could be a really good thing.

I do love food, I love to eat it and I love to talk about it. But for some reason people don't always like knowing I had onions and garlic for dinner just from my breath sometimes. That is why gum saves the day. Popping a piece into my mouth helps keep my breath minty fresh when I don't have a tooth brush handy and besides that, it tastes really good.

So I am grateful for gum. I am grateful that it comes in so many different types and tastes and packaging. I am grateful it is so easy to carry around and it saves me from bad breath attacks. And I am grateful for the people who make gum. I'm happy that I realized the gum industry isn't all conspiracy and scandal and that I learned how enjoy the gum.

No comments:

Post a Comment